The image above is, in two words, the current situation of Kingfisher Airlines in India. They haven’t been able to do much about their down-going business. And they haven’t been able to pay their employees for the longest time. What does this mean to the frequent (or infrequent) flyer? Not much. Simply because they have a hoard of other options waiting to fly them in pressurised containers to their destinations. But what does it mean to the employees of Kingfisher Airlines? A hell of a lot.
People have had to shift their children to cheaper schools. People have had to vacate houses because of non-payment of rent. People have had to burn themselves down due to insolvency. People have had to go through hell. All because they thought this might be a good place to work. Because they thought they were going to get a slice of the good times. Little did they know what was coming.
And one can still understand this plight if it were solely professional. But what happens to these people when they see Vijay Mallya, the owner of the company flying high in his personal jet? What goes through their minds when they see that the man’s personal jet staff are paid (liberally) on time every month, month after month? What happens when they see the company’s heir apparent having a jolly good time shooting with bikini clad calendar girls on the warm, sandy beaches of England? It’s hard to tell, frankly.
But what’s easy to tell is that the Mallyas are not trying hard enough to give a horse’s soft green shit about their employees. One can speculate the sale of a private jet to pay employees off. One can even consider cutting down on pleasure trips abroad to save money which can be paid to employee. And one can certainly think of sharing a few kind words with employees rather than tweeting about the fun volleyball game at the beach. One can certainly take some out of the millions one has instead of worrying about having lost the billionaire tag.
But, of course, that would be too much to ask. There’s a life to live, after all. There are good times to be had.
- Indian GP: Unpaid airline staff to confront Vijay Mallya at Buddh International Circuit (bertholdbouman.wordpress.com)
- Mallya to attend Indian GP while KFA lockout continues (ibnlive.in.com)
- Vijay Mallya’s Kingfisher Airlines is grounded (telegraph.co.uk)
- India Suspends Kingfisher Airlines’ License Amid Strike (bloomberg.com)
- After Kingfisher Airlines’ employees ask where he is, Vijay Mallya responds on twitter (ndtv.com)
- India’s Kingfisher Airlines has its license suspended by aviation regulator – @NDTV (ndtv.com)